Tuesday, July 31, 2007

LL Foster

When I was young no one I knew had a computer much less a blog. It is interesting how time changes thing. Once when I was a teenager I lived in a remote area called the "Blue River" in the White Mountains of New Mexico, right on the Arizona line. We didn't even have telephones there in the 1960's. In fact, they had just put in electricity in most of the scattered ranch homes there. We got snowed in each winter with snow drifts up to the windows and hardly anyone would venture out on those treacherous unpaved, winding mountain roads. The roads were wide enough for two vehicles to barly squeeze through, and in some places the drops below were hundreds of feet down. One Christmas, my family and I were snowed in as usual with only the radio to keep us company. I heard the sound of a horn in the distance and told my parents that someone was stuck on the road. The place was so remote that you could hear for miles away. My dad said that no one but a fool would be out on that road in this weather, but he and my mom dressed in their long johns and heavy coats and went to see. What they found was nearly a miracle of sorts. You see, that past summer my parents had helped a couple whose car had broken down. They let the couple stay at our home and even took them to the next town for car parts. After about a week the parts came in , the car was fixed and the people thanked my parents and drove away. Here, in the remote mountains in the middle of a snow storm was this couple driving a huge truck full of food, gifts and supplies for us. We unloaded the supplies in huge gunnysacks and walked through the deep snow and across the creek to our home. Not only did we have friends for the holiday but we had lots of good food and presents to open as well. That was a real blessing from the Lord.

3 comments:

CP Rambo said...

Right on! Thats an awesome story. Yes truly a blessing. Funny when I was a young one we did not have a computer either. I listened to 8 track tapes then I thought Casette tapes were the best! How did society become so dependant on this technology? Great entry in the blog!!

Shalome said...

From Blue River to blogging... You go girl! Can you believe she's turning 6o? Can I say that aloud?

artbylorraine said...

Hi, sure you can say it. When I turn 60 in March I will at least have an excuse for the way I look, he he he....Ok ok...
Yes, from the Blue to blogging, that is quite a distance. I remember eight track tapes, too. That was when the cars had tape players instead of cd players. I also remember when the first cell phones came out. It is amazing how the times change, huh?